Yesterday I posted the following status on my Facebook page:
Ever feel like every client you’ve ever worked with all went on vacation at the same time but didn’t invite you?
In other words… this week, I haven’t had much in the way of voice over work. Welcome to summer vacation season!
So what is one to do when all your clients are apparently on vacation and there’s no work to be found? Some panic. Freak right out. Assume the end is near. Start searching for change in the sofa cushions. You can do that, I suppose. But I do have some better suggestions.
15 Things To Do When You Have Nothing To Do
1) Read A Book: Something on marketing. Sales. Web design. Social media. Read a book that will make your business better.
2) Make A Demo: When’s the last time you cut together a new demo? Are you due?
4) Update Your Client List: Do you list your clients on your website? Are all your latest ones included?
5) Update Your About Page: When’s the last time you updated your bio page on your site? Is it current?
6) Connect On Social Media: Do you sometimes feel like you don’t have enough time to devote to social media? Now you do!
7) Send Postcards: Every time I send handwritten postcards to clients I get thank you notes and often new work!
8) Create Something: Paint. Draw. Write. Cook. Get the creative juices flowing just for fun. You might surprise yourself.
9) Do Paperwork: A necessary evil of business… and it’s ok to admit you’re behind on your books. Catch up.
10) Dream A Little: Take a walk or a drive and spend some time dreaming up new goals for your business and life.
11) Give Back: Volunteer for a local charity or church. Someone is always looking for a helping hand.
12) Make A Video Demo: Find out more about these great tools by clicking here.
13) Guest Blog: Got something to say? Offer to write a guest blog for your favourite VO site.
14) Un-procrastinate: We’ve all got at least one thing on our to do list we aren’t doing. Git ‘er done!
15) Take A Vacation: If you can’t beat ’em… join ’em! Maybe you need a vacation too!
Slow days and weeks in the summer is no surprise to those of us who have been in this business a while. People vacation. It happens. There’s no need to panic. But there’s also no need to entirely give up on all productivity.
Consider the spare time a gift and make the most of it!